Navbar

Monday, February 8, 2016

Beta Readers Aren't That Scary

There. I did it. For the first time ever I sent out a novel to a team of beta readers.

Scary? Check.
A test of patience? Check.
Invaluable? Check, check!

Beta reading has proven to be one of the most valuable assets in the indie authors stash of secret weapons. If you're scared about this or suffer from the dreaded "I can't let anyone read my work!" syndrome, you're not alone. But here's some truths about working with beta readers that might help put your mind at ease.

They're just as grateful as you are

Ok, first of all, they're all really nice. I hand picked my team to include a variety of people—a couple friends whose opinions I trusted, a few peers I knew professionally, and a few people I didn't know so well who I believed would give me an honest opinion. Not a single one of them was ungrateful to be given a free book to read.

Think about it, unless you're an all-around terrible person you're not going to spit all over a gift, and you're certainly not going to come down like a hammer on an innocent author looking for feedback. The truth is that most of your beta readers are going to be grateful to be a part of the process, and in return, they’ll be kind about their feedback.

There may be some a-holes, but we'll talk about them in a minute.

They're actually really encouraging

My readers gave me all kinds of constructive criticism, but every single one of them also gave me great words of encouragement. After reading an email from one of them I would always feel elated, like I'd just won a sort of mini lottery! I'd feel inspired to go write some more, which is the opposite of what I was expecting to feel.

They're going to strengthen your story

I've known many authors over the years who get a very high opinion of themselves and their work. Any changes made to their story not thought of by them are stupid changes. I argue that this kind of thinking is itself stupid.

Your beat readers are going to come back with suggestions about the plot, comments about where they were confused, remarks about what parts of the story that didn't make sense, and all of it, if you soak it in and weigh it against your artistic vision, can help improve your book. Obviously, you don't have to accept every suggestion your beta readers make—you don't have to accept any of them, in fact!—but changes are they're going to think of things that you have yet to consider. A writer so high-on-his-horse that he can't take this kind of feedback and turn it into something valuable is missing out on a massive opportunity to enrich his book.

Dealing with a nasty beta reader

I didn't have any meanies in my group of beta readers, but I know they're out there. Negative Nancys. Debbie Downers. Jealous Johns. And my advice to you in this department is simple: scrap 'em.

Years ago I made the decision that I didn't want negative people in my life. Negative people attract negative energy and negative circumstances. It's true. I've seen it happen. Negative people live miserable lives and they often don't realize that the reason their lives are such a mess is because they're so miserable.

If a person can't offer constructive criticism I don't listen to them. Might they have had something valuable to say? Sure. But if in the process of listening to them it's going to raise my blood pressure, forget it. Cut them off.

It's not possible to cut out ALL negativity from your life. Let's face it, that's just life. But in the years since I've been making a more concentrated effort to attract and keep positivity I've found that the kind of energy around me and the kind of energy I'm able to put out is more creative, more fun, and more rewarding.

Other tips for getting the most out of your beta readers


1. Be leery of people who love giving advice.
These people often just love to hear themselves talk and they usually don't know as much as they think they do. They might be thorough, but they'll also be super annoying. Recruit them at your own risk.

2. Send your manuscript strategically.
While there is no “right” way to send your manuscript to beta readers, I suggest doing it in “rounds.” A few people will receive the first draft. After you get their feedback and revise accordingly, you’ll send it out again to other beta readers who can give feedback based on the new revisions. That means you have a chance to organize who will see which draft.

I sent my first draft to a writing buddy that I've been friends with for many years. She's not an editor or a proofreader, but she IS a great gauge of storytelling, pacing, and character development. Her "bird's eye view" of my overall novel provided valuable insight for me during later revisions. More completed drafts of my manuscript I sent to people I knew would look at it from different points of view.

If your beta readers are the type of people who will buy your book and you get positive feedback, then you know you’re doing something right.

3. Be specific with your questions.
Ask your readers specific questions about the manuscript, like did the character’s motives make sense? Were there any scenes you felt were unnecessary? Were there words/phrases overused that seemed to distract from the story? Was the ending satisfying? Believable? Did the descriptions and emotions feel real to you? Questions will help them focus their thoughts and help you get the most out of their feedback.

I should have been more intentional about this with all of my beta readers because I got the best feedback when I did.

Using beta readers doesn’t have to be a scary process. In fact, they should be an important part of writing that can take your story to a whole new level!

C.W. Thomas

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this article. Having been subjected to a pretty nasty beta reader myself, I second that the best thing to do is, as you said, scrap them. There are beta readers out there who will give you better advice and not crush your writing spirit in the process.

    Great pointers at the end as well. I know some beta readers who will ask upfront what you, as an author, need most in terms of feedback. It's very helpful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh. I'm sorry you had to deal with a nasty beta reader. I can appreciate criticism when its fashioned in a constructive, helpful way, but when a person is just spewing negativity they're not worth my time.

      It's ok to get discouraged. I think it's part of the writing process. You just can't STAY discouraged. So I hope you've been able to dust yourself off and forge ahead. :)

      Delete