Navbar

Friday, June 24, 2016

Is Rewriting While Writing A Crime?

Is it okay for a writer to stop part-way through a first draft to go back and rewrite something?

Ooh, rewriting while writing. Tsk, tsk. This question comes up a lot among writers, and I don't entirely understand why.

Writing is a creative process. If you overthink it you'll lose that creative edge, that part of you that imbues the writing with the most... you. Keep in mind I'm talking about the creative aspect of writing here, not editing or proofreading or punctuation or any other technical aspect. Those come later.

In the beginning, you just need to get out of you what's inside you. Get that first draft done by any and all means necessary. If that means going back and rewriting something, do it! If you think it will slow you down then write a note to yourself about what you want to rewrite so you don't forget, and keep going.

Just write.

It frustrates me when I see writers getting hung up on questions like this. I've been writing novels since I was 15 years old, and it never occurred to me that going back to rewrite something as I was still writing might be wrong. I never asked if I should be outlining or not. I never wondered about what writing software to use. I just wrote.

And wrote, and wrote, and wrote.

The great majority of writers barely finish one novel. By the time I was 17, I had written three, one of which was published. To date I've completed nine.

Proceed with caution

If you do go back to rewrite something, don't start editing.

EXAMPLE
I'm working on chapter twenty-six of book three in my medieval fantasy series Children of the Falls. I just recently went all the way back to chapter one to re-write something—I wanted to write a secondary character into a certain scene. As I read through what I had already written I noticed typos, misspellings, passive voice, but I ignored all of it. I'll clean that stuff up in editing. My objective—my only objective—was to rewrite a portion of a scene to include a secondary character. That's it. Done. Moving on.

My point is simple. Do whatever you got to do to get that first draft down. Don't worry about how I do it. Don't worry about how J.K. Rowling does it. Stop perusing writing forums and Facebook pages asking formatting questions and comparing your process to the processes of others.

Just. Write.

C.W. Thomas signature

4 comments:

  1. Well, this might be what I'm doing wrong.

    If I'm writing with Ben Marsten, the pressure is on to get copy to him, as he's driving the narrative. It's not fair to leaving him hanging and as you've written collaboratively, you probably know how important it is to keep up the conversation.

    If I'm writing my own work, I constantly go back and read the last few thousand words, indulging in some topiary as I go, before I can even start laying down fresh text. Yes, I know that's a mixed metaphor. Here's another. It's as if I have to build up speed before the words come pouring out. On the other hand, it does mean when I come to edit I'm weeding a garden, not digging my way through a slash-and-burn wasteland. That would work against my creativity; the words are important to me and I can't leave them broken.


    And yes, people who buy books on writing, talk about writing, angst about writing, meme about writing but aren't doing any actual creative writing aren't writers. They're groupies. We should sell t-shirts.

    Ignore the typos. I know they're in there somewhere but I haven't had my coffee yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! T-shirts. Great idea. We'd make millions, I'm sure. lol

      Delete
  2. I agree with Craig here. I do more of what Craig does. If I think I need to ad an important touch to a scene or ad something that's important to the plot, I will do that, but it's very seldom. I get it on paper first and worry about the other stuff later. Now for my Pilot, I took a look at draft 7 and something didn't make sense. So what I did, was rewrite the teaser and I rewrote my outline, which changed a lot of stuff, so I am now rewriting the pilot for the eighth time. I don't figure to do this again, because I am looking to copyright this and then send it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you, Peter. Whatever it takes, right?

      Delete