Navbar

Monday, April 25, 2016

From Un-Me To Real Me: Discovering My Passion For Writing

Part 1


For as long as I can remember I've had two passions: art and writing.

Ever since I could hold a crayon I've been drawing. Everything my eyes could see I drew. As a teenager I didn't go out and party on Friday nights because I didn't care about that stuff. I cared about art. My eyes couldn't stop looking around and my fingers couldn't stop interpreting what my eyes were seeing.

An old pencil sketch.

My interest in the visual medium turned to movies. I was obsessed with the old Disney animated classics like Aladdin, The Little Mermaid, and Beauty and the Beast. I wanted to tell stories through the art of filmmaking.

But there was one little problem. Hollywood.

Even as a teenager I was able to recognize that Hollywood was a dump. The masquerading and narcissism and lying and whoring and nonsense required to make it in Hollywood was sickening to me. I admire anyone who can endure that kind of treatment and posturing, but it's not what I was cut out for.

As a kid from Nowhereville, Vermont I would have to work doubly hard just to get to Hollywood, not to mention figuring out how to get involved in movies.

This was before the days of the internet where everything you ever wanted to know was at your fingertips. I had no idea that there were schools for animation and movie making.

This is an old fight scene I filmed with a friend of mine
as part of a movie we made when we were teenagers.
We were our own gang, and this was our drug!

But I had all these stories that I could see in my head. They'd play through my brain like movies.

And so I started writing them down.

I wrote my first novel at the age of 14. It was called Unknown, and it was about two teenagers who spend a horrifying night barred up in a tree house as an unknown creature of some sort tries to get in and rip them to shreds. I wrote it on an old DOS computer before the days of Microsoft Worthless and Spellmesser. I think the novel was about 65,000 words. Not bad for a first time effort.

And then the computer I was working on crashed and all of my data was lost.

I moped about it for a while, but I started writing again, this time in what would become my genre of choice, medieval fantasy. I was inspired by—as most all fantasy writers are—The Chronicles of Narnia, The Lord of the Rings, and newer works like R.A. Salvatore's The Dark Elf series.

My second novel was 95,000 words, and I submitted it for publication when I was 16. After about four rejection letters I got an email from a small company called EricaHouse. They specialized in first time authors. They liked that I was so young and showed so much potential. They liked my book and wanted to publish it.

What should've been a great opportunity turned into a lesson for the naive.

To be continued...

C.W. Thomas signature

7 comments:

  1. Craig this post reminds me of Where Serpents Strike and I kept thinking how visual it was in my mind. I am a visual person too, that comes from being obsessed with movies and growing up in a theater household. Hence, why I have dabbled in some screenplays. I can see your work on the screen, whether it be animated or something really cool with CGI.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter! Yeah, I can always picture my books in my head as if they were movies. But I've got a lot more to say about that in some upcoming posts, so stay tuned :)

      Delete
  2. Oh, one more comment here. This little movie you did as a kid, is excellent. Did you have take stage combat in school, because this is well choreographed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, no, no stage school. I took martial arts lessons from age 12-17. Maybe that's where I got it from.

      Delete
  3. Craig - -thank you for such a sensitive share -- my experience in Hollywood - - I call it Hollow Wood -- is that especially after the mid-seventies it was filled with deceit, drugs, deals and child/teen sex rings - - the long term good directors, producers were being edged out or their careers threatened by sex/drug scandals that took place on their sets - - -you knew this intuitively -- I personally walked out!!! - sickened by the experience - - it was good for you to have avoided it! - - Meanwhile -- the wonderful combat scene that you filmed shows such talent - - and it does indeed look like Stage Combat - - your martial arts training really shows - - -

    It is hard for many of us who are not part of the mass collective to find our way -- perhaps growing up away from the major centers of suburbs and cities allowed you more to value nature and drawing and writing -- allowed your true heart/self/soul/spirit to emerge - -

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback, Deb :) And wow, sounds like you have some fascinating stories to tell! I'm relieved I never ventured to Hollywood, but it still fascinates me.

      And your last comment is right on! :)

      Delete