Navbar

Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Critique Circle: Feedback To Advance Your Novel Several Drafts

A while back I joined an online writing community called Critique Circle. It's a safe place for writers to submit their work and get feedback from other writers. It's been a valuable tool for me to gauge my story and characters, catch problems before they get out of hand, and also encourage myself to keep being excited about writing.

Critique Circle works like this: You sign up for free. To get critiques, you need to give critiques. For every critique you give, you get credits (usually 1 or 1 1/2, though maybe more if it's an especially long piece you're critiquing.) It costs 3 credits to submit your own work for critique. Once you submit something, your work goes up at the start of the next critique round, which happens once a week. People read your work, critique it, and you get to read the critiques as you receive them.

Pretty slick, eh?

Before I discuss the cons of Critique Circle, let me just say I've found it incredibly helpful. I have a tendency to fall in love with my own words, and I know I use too many words, so having someone read a chapter and say, "You know, you could say this in about half as many words," is great for me. Most of the people who give critiques are very nice. Sure there's a few jerks on there, but, hey, this is the internet. If you can't handle a few jerks you probably shouldn't be online.

The downsides of Critique Circle:

  • Lots of high school and novice writers. You'll notice this as you start critiquing work. It's difficult because, A. You can tell the work stinks, but B. You need to be constructive about it especially if you want a constructive critique in return. I mean, everyone starts out as a crappy writer. We all need help in order to improve, but it does get tiring reading young adult ripoffs of Twilight and The Hunger Games written by teenage fans.

  • The time it takes to get a critique is too long. I've got 60+ chapters to get critiqued, but you can only submit one a week. There is a "novel system" on Critique Circle that allows you to submit all of your chapters, but this requires a fan base of reliable "critters" who will plow through your manuscript. You also need to sign up for the paid membership, which is $34.

Is it worth it? So far I'm going to say yes, it is. Having other readers give me feedback this early on in the process is already taking my work to where it would be after three or four self-edited drafts.

Is Critique Circle for everyone? No. If you can't take feedback, you're probably not going to like this site. If you don't like not knowing who is on the other end, you should probably try to find an editor or agent. There aren't a lot of non-fiction works on Critique Circle, so if you're a law student writing an essay on the practice of criminal defense, or a surgeon writing How To Perform Open Heart Surgery, you probably won't get a lot of valuable feedback. For creative writers though, it has the potential to be a gold mine.

C.W. Thomas

No comments:

Post a Comment